*Editor’s note: picture heavy post*
Despite giving my to-do list a decent sized hair cut last week, The Boy and I still had a rather busy weekend! Saturday was spent driving from store to store locating everything, while Sunday and Monday were spent at my place with our sleeves rolled up.
Pictures like this make me deliriously happy:
Kind of an odd thing to get excited over, isn’t it? I’m guessing chances are you’re not really sure what you’re looking at or why I would get excited about it. For some bewildering reason, home builders in the Edmonton area are not required by code to install shut off valves under sinks anymore. There’s a shut off valve for my dishwasher and the toilets, but nowhere else. There aren’t even valves on the main hot and cold water headers. If you need to do any work to your plumbing, you need to shut off water TO THE ENTIRE HOUSE. It’s stupidity, and nothing more than blatant corner cutting.
So, we fixed it. We shut the water to the house off, turned off the hot water heater, and installed valves under all of the sinks. It’s not a sexy reno. No one walks into a house and coos over how lovely the chrome valves look against the stainless steel braided lines for the faucet. No one. The second you need them though? You appreciate it then.
When I bought the house one of the first things I had to fix was the faucet for the tub, because the piece for diverting the water up to the shower was seized half on and half off. That made for shorter showers because half of the hot water went straight into the tub, and cold baths because half of the water was cooling in the air before making it into the tub. It sucked. So I picked up a tub/shower kit and matching sink faucet shortly after moving in. The lack of valves under the sink resulted in the sink faucet sitting in its box down in my basement for the last 3.5 years.
Both bathrooms needed the drains replaced, as they were broken and haven’t properly held water in the sink the entire time I’ve lived here. New drains were going for about $25 each. Since the faucet I had in the basement came with a matching drain, I put the $25 from that drain towards putting a matching faucet (with drain) in the downstairs bathroom (shown).
For the record, removing old drains is nasty work. I don’t know what the gunk that came out them was made of, but was extremely relieved that it didn’t stink.
Before we could do that though, we had to replace the sink itself. That shiny white piece of water holding goodness served as a nice replacement to the cracked one that used to be there.
It didn’t leak in the time I’ve lived here, but I really didn’t want to be testing my luck.
Few things feel better than getting things all organized again after making a big mess. All of my under-sink areas feel downright presentable again.
Yes, I know I have a lot of cleaning product bottles. I’m still working on using them up.
This little project has been another sore spot for me over the years. In the time I’ve lived here, I haven’t had a towel bar. Why didn’t I have a towel bar? Long story short, the previous owners ripped the last one out of the wall (I bought a foreclosure that was trashed, remember?)
I bought a stud finder and made sure the bar was secured to more than just drywall this time around. It’s a little further away from the shower, but it’s still easy to reach.
Adding to the list of things that were broken in the house was the tile supporting the shower curtain rod. The first thing I did when I moved in was fill the cracks full of silicone caulking and put another tile up against it to support a curtain rod. I wasn’t sure how long it would take me to get to that project, and I didn’t want mould growing in my walls in the meantime from me having showers. It worked well; the wall was dry as a bone. Hopefully with the new tile in place it will stay that way.
The flooring saga continues, as we installed the t-moulding between all of the bedrooms and the upstairs landing.
Please excuse the drywall dust.
A handful of light switch covers (4), outlet covers (1), cold air registers (3) and heat vents (2) were replaced as well.
One of the lights in the basement quit working on me recently, so we replaced that as well only to find out there were actually two that weren’t working *facepalm*. So, we replaced the main one and we’ll have to do that other one another day. I might feel ambitious and do it tomorrow.
I’ll tell The Boy after the fact so he won’t worry about me electrocuting myself
They all seem like such small projects, but when you know they’re there and need to be done, they irk you like you wouldn’t believe. I am SO relieved to have gotten a bunch of these done! As small as they may be, it actually feels like a lot of progress.
Save for the fuel, pizza, etc… that we bought over the weekend, fixing up the odds and ends cost me $351.14. I haven’t compared it to my initial estimates yet, but it doesn’t feel out to lunch considering how many projects were actually tackled.
Next up, doing something about this:
I can’t wait for this place to be finished.
Recommended Reading: Uh, it’s SUPPOSED to be hard